Tuesday, August 5, 2008

New Soft Block Linocut

Sorry it's been awhile since I posted. It's been a busy week.

I noticed all of my favorite blogs are not listed. I'll have to figure out whats wrong. Still learning this stuff.

As far as job hunting.....I accepted a job last Wednesday....even though I felt uncomfortable at the interview. Needless to say....it lasted 2 days. I should have went with my gut instinct. The Nurse manager was ...shall I say....."different". I decided after 2 days, I didn't want my name on any paperwork associated with that company. I worked hard for my RN license....don't want to lose it.

I interviewed with the nursing home that I initially was interested in. The Director was out last week with a broken foot. I was real impressed with her and the Assistant Director. It is a home I worked in 10 years ago. I loved it then. I see alot of improvements and it looks like it's still a nice one. I find out tomorrow AM whether I got the job or not. It pays what I was looking for too. I feel good about it. I'm pretty sure I got it. A big plus....its only 15 minutes from my house....YAY!! and....weekends off!!

The other job I interview for today was with Poison Control. It's strictly a desk/phone job. They won't make a decision for 3 weeks. I can't wait that long. The pro's....it pays better than any of the other jobs I've interviewed for, plus great benefits....It's a state job. The con's....the schedule is month to month. You never know what shift or days your working until the schedule comes out. May get 1 weekend a month off...no guarantee. I looked at the cubby hole where I would be sitting.....12 hours a day.......don't know if I want to do that for the next 20 years.....LOL.

I have been making art. Nothing finished tho. Mostly drawing...and a little doodling with my paints.

I watched a video on youtube by grittyarts that was about lino cutting. I have been fascinated by that for sometime. If I could put the video here I would.....haven't figured that out yet. Go check her out....her videos are amazing...and her art is that and more. She also has a blog and sells on ebay. Her blog address is http://grittyartsstudio.wordpress.com.

Anyway.....while I was in Amarillo today....I went to Hobby Lobby....bought a few supplies to try lino cutting. By the way....don't buy the carving tools from Walmart....they are worthless. They are frustrating. I paid around $5 there. I bought the ones from Hobby Lobby by Speedball for $12.99......wow...what a difference. Also...don't buy erasers like I did (suggested on a website to try this technique out) also frustrating and hard to cut...plus too small. I bought 4x4 Carving blocks by Staedtler for $2.99 each. The are wonderful.....as the label says....."Cuts "like butter". I love them.

So...enough jabbering......here's my first attempt at soft block linocutting. I used a drawing I did of the calla lillies my daughter bought me for mothers day. It was a blast!! Remember this is my first real attempt....be kind. And thanks Jane for getting me started!!

The first photo is of the actual block I carved. The next two photos are of each time I cut and then printed. I have them numbered beside each one. I'm not crazy about the final cut and print....but thats how we learn I guess. It was alot of fun!!

ps.....I'm having a heck of a time with loading photos...if anyone has a howto....or knows where I can go....please let me know. I know these photos stink.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! THese are wonderful! I am so impressed...and I love that criss-cross background you did!
I just tried to leave a comment but I clicked twice and jammed things up so you might get a few more in your email...
Anyhoo, I wanted to tell you how to put You Tube videos on your blog. It's easy:
1) GO to the video you like on youtube
2) COPY the Embed code to the right of the video
3) OPEN A NEW POST in your blog and click on the EDIT HTML tab at the top of the box you type in
4) RIGHT CLICK PASTE into the box
5)click on the COMPOSE tab at the top of your box

You might only see the outline of the video and a little red X but don't worry...click PREVIEW to see how your post is looking.

You can do this in the middle of a post too, but just switching over to the EDIT HTML TAB when you want to put your Embed code in...

Hope that helps.

Blessings to you,
Jane

Patti said...

Thank you for the nice comments Jane and the help.

I'm going to try to put the video in now.

Gigi said...

Hi Patti,
Thanks for all the great comments on my blog about my art and my dolls. I am going to post replys to you before I sign off for the night. I didn't get back to you sooner because in between housework and laundry tonight after working about 12 hours at the office, I was trying to figure out/fix my YouTube channel background. It is completely gone on my main page. I used photobucket as my download site. After researching more I found out that everyone who uses photobucket had this happen to them. It seems to be a global problem. They say that people who view the channels can see the background however. I hope so because right now it is ugly. Has this nasty message across my whole main page, that the photo has been moved or deleted.
Anyhow, enough about me.....Good luck tomorrow. I hope you get the job. It sounds like a wonderful opportunity. I don't like the sound of the State job though. Sometimes it is best to make a little less money and be in a job you are happy in. That's "Gigi words of wisdom". :)
Thank you for subsribing to my channel. Check back on my blog site often as I intend to post more.
And I love your art work on this last post. They are really, really great. The photos came out fine too.
Take care and please keep in touch.
Ginny
xoxo